Closing a bank account in Australia is not a big deal provided you don’t have any dues in your account. If you have any dues or negative balance in your account then you have to pay those. And then you will be allowed to close the account. Today’s guide is for the customers of Westpac Bank who wish to close down their bank account. I have explained every step you need to know to close Westpac Bank account.
Before you close the existing account make sure that you have an alternative bank account. If you don’t have one then you need to open it first. You can consider other Australian banks like AMP Bank, CommBank, Bank of Queensland, Bendigo Bank, National Australia Bank, ANZ Bank, Suncorp Bank, Bendigo Bank, and Bankwest, etc. for your new bank account.
Once you have opened a new bank account for you. You have to transfer your funds from the Westpack account to a new account. Make sure you do it only on the day you are closing the bank account. If you transfer the money well in advance. Then the bank may charge you some extra fees for non-maintenance of required balance. Read further to know how you can close the account.
About Westpac Bank
|Formerly Know As||Bank of New South Wales|
|Type of Bank||Public|
|Founded||8th April 1817|
|Headquarters||Westpac Place, Sydney|
|Number of Branches||1,204|
|Number of ATMs||3,222|
|Revenue (2018)||A$ 22 Billion|
|Net Income (2018)||A$ 8.1 Billion|
|Total Assets (2018)||A$ 879.6 Billion|
|Number of Employees (2018)||35,029|
Methods to Close Westpac Bank Account
There are 2 methods that can be followed by the account holders of the Westpac Bank to close their bank account. I have explained both of them below. Choose the method which you feel is right for you. The first method is by visiting the branch of the bank. And the second method is by calling the customer support of the bank. There is an option to close the account over the phone. But I recommend you to visit the branch of the bank to close it.
Visiting the Branch of Westpac Bank
- Locate the Branch of the Westpack Bank which is near to your location.
- Visit the branch of the bank which you have located.
- Go to the help desk or the account management section in the branch.
- Tell the bank officials that you want to close the bank account you have with them.
- They will ask you to verify your identity.
- Verify it by providing an appropriate identity proof document.
- The bank officials will ask you the reason why you are closing the account.
- Provide them your reason to close the account.
- Follow the instructions provided by the officials.
- And your bank account will be closed for you.
Calling the Customer Support of the Bank
- Call the customer support of Westpac on 132 032 or (+61 2) 9293 9270 if you are calling from overseas.
- Soon you will be connected to speak with the customer support executive.
- Tell the executive that you want to close your Westpack account.
- You have to verify your identity to proceed further.
- After that, the support executive will ask you the reason why you are willing to close your account.
- Tell your reason for account closure.
- And your account closing request will be taken by the bank.
How to Contact Westpac Bank?
The information which is provided in this guide is based on the data I got after reading may online resources. So I recommend you contact the Westpac Bank and verify the data before using it personally. And you can use the contact details provided below to contact the bank.
- Phone Number: 132 032 or (+61 2) 9293 9270 for Overseas customers
- Website: www.westpac.com.au
- Facebook: www.facebook.com/Westpac/
- Twitter: twitter.com/westpac/
These are the 2 methods that can be followed by the account holders of the Westpac to close their bank account. I have already mentioned and I am recommending you again to visit the branch of the bank to close the account. That is because if there are any issues with the account you can get them rectified at the branch. But you can not do that over the phone.