If we start counting the reasons why people might decide to close a bank account. Then we will get a ton of them. No matter what is the reason because which you have decided to close your account. This guide will help you do it. In this guide of mine, I will tell you how you can close TIAA Bank account.
The process is very simple but there are a few things in your checklist before you approach the bank to close your account. The first thing is your account should not have any negative balance or dues pending. If you have any then you will have to clear those.
The second thing is once you submit the closing request to the bank. You are not allowed to use the account to make any transactions. So to make sure that you don’t lose access to the banking system you should make arrangements for an alternative bank account.
If you already have an extra account with you then you are good to go. But in case if you don’t have. Then select a good bank for you that is operating in the United States, and get an account opened for yourself. If you need help choosing the bank. Then read this list of questions that you should ask the bank before opening the account.
Steps to Close TIAA Bank Account
There is no online method by following which you can close your account. So you will have to follow the offline method that is explained below. If you hold an individual account follow this guide. And in case if you hold a joint bank account then follow this linked guide.
- Locate the nearest branch of TIAA Bank near you.
- Take your passbook, unused cheques, debit cards, and identity proof document with you.
- Visit the branch of the bank and go to the helpdesk.
- Speak with the bank officials handling the helpdesk.
- Tell the officials that you want to close your bank account.
- The officials will ask for your name and bank account number.
- Provide them the details and show your identity proof document to verify yourself as the owner of the account.
- Bring down your bank account balance to zero.
- Collect, fill, check, sign, and submit the account closure request form to the bank officials.
How to Contact the Bank?
You can contact the bank by calling customer care, using the official website. And also by messaging the bank on its official social media profiles.
- Official Website: www.tiaabank.com
- Phone Number: 1-888-882-3837
- Facebook: www.facebook.com/TIAABank
This is all you should know while closing your account. There is one more very important thing. And that is you should move all your automatic payments and direct deposits to your alternative bank account. If not they will start failing. And in case if you are closing the account too early after opening it. Then you may have to pay account closing charges to the bank.