Being a customer of the bank you have the right to close your bank account wherever you feel like doing. In this guide of mine. I will tell you how you can close New York Community Bank account.
But before you approach the bank to close your account. There are a few things you that have to be taken care of. I will explain those to you one-by-one.
The first thing you should take care of is the balance you have in your account. The account should not have any dues pending or negative balance in it.
If in case you have anything pending. Then you will have to clear it before approaching the bank with your account closing request.
This is important because no bank lets the customer close the account without clearing the dues. The next thing is you should have an alternative bank account with you.
In case you already have an account. Then that is fine, but in case if you don’t have. Then choose any bank (list of banks in the USA) and get a new account opened for you.
Once your new account is fully operational you can close your existing one with the New York Community Bank. This will help you in a smooth transition from your old account to the new one.
If you need help in choosing your next bank. Then you can refer to my list of questions that you should ask the bank before opening the account. These questions will help you decide.
Steps to Close New York Community Bank Account
There is no way to close the account online. So you will have to follow the offline method explained below. If you have an individual account follow this guide. And in case if you hold a joint bank account then follow this one.
- Locate the nearest branch of New York Community Bank near you.
- Take your identity proof document, unused cheques, debit cards, and passbook with you.
- Visit the branch of the bank and go to the helpdesk.
- Speak with the bank officials and tell them that you want to close your account.
- The officials will ask you to provide your name, bank account number, and the reason for the closure.
- Provide them the requested information and show your identity proof document.
- Cancel all your automatic payments and direct deposits.
- Bring down your bank account balance to zero.
- Collect, fill, sign, and submit the account closure request form to the bank officials.
How to Contact the Bank?
If you want more information or want to contact the bank for some other reasons. Then you can call customer service and use the official website.
- Official Website: www.mynycb.com
- Phone Number: (877) 786-6560
This is how simple it is to close your account. But you have to keep in mind that if you are closing the account too early. Then the bank may ask you to pay the account closing charges.