We all have adopted the bank and the bank accounts into our day-to-day life. These days it is one of the essentials for us. But sometimes we also have to close the account if we don’t need it. In this guide, I will tell you how you can close Merchants & Marine Bank account.
It is very easy to close an account the thing is you should know the exact process to be followed. I do not recommend you close the account online. Instead of that, you can follow the offline method that is explained below. This method works not only for Merchants & Marine Bank. But also works for all the banks in the United States.
There are two things you need to take care of before you approach the bank. The first thing is you have to make sure that there is no negative balance in the account. If in case if you have any then you will have to clear it. Because the bank will not allow you to close the account until you clear the dues.
The next thing is regarding the payments that are running on your account. I am talking about automatic payments and direct deposits. Once your account is closed all your payments will start failing. So to avoid this you can move all the payments to your alternative account.
Steps to Close Merchants & Marine Bank Account
If you hold an individual account with the bank then you can follow the steps that are mentioned below. But in case if you hold a joint account. Then you can follow the steps that are mentioned in this linked guide.
- Locate the nearest branch of Merchants & Marine Bank near you.
- Take your passbook, unused cheques, debit cards, and identity proof document with you.
- Visit the branch of the bank and go to the helpdesk.
- Speak with the bank officials and tell them that you want to close your account.
- The officials will ask for your name, account number, and the reason for the closure.
- Provide the details and show them your identity proof document.
- Bring down your account balance to zero.
- Collect an account closure request form.
- Fill the form, sign it, and submit it to the bank officials.
How to Contact the Bank?
If you want more information you can contact the bank. You can call the customer service and also with the help of the official website of the bank.
- Official Website: mandmbank.com
- Phone Number: 866.223.9512
This is how simple the process is. But at the same time, you also have to keep in mind that if you are closing the account too early after opening it. Then the bank may ask you to pay the account closing charges.