If we sit counting the reasons why someone might decide to close a bank account we will get many reasons. Everyone has their own reason. No matter what is yours. I will guide you through the process that you have to follow to close Emigrant Bank account.
Before you can approach the bank and ask it to close your account. There are two things you need to take care of. First I will tell you about those. And then I will tell you the process step-by-step. I do not recommend you close the account online. Instead of that follow the offline process I have explained below.
The first thing is you need to make sure that there is no negative balance or pending dues in the account. If you have any then you will have to take steps to clear those. This is because the Emigrant Bank will not allow you to close the account which has dues pending in it.
The second thing is you need to take care of all the payments you are making and receiving in your account. I am talking about automatic payments and direct deposits. You need to cancel all your payments. Because the payments will start failing once your account is closed.
It is completely your responsibility to take care of your payments before closing the account. And not that of the banks. You can move all your payments to your alternative bank account. This will help you ensure that all your payments are running without any issues.
If you have an alternative account with you then that is fine. But in case if you don’t have. Then I highly recommend you to get one opened before you close your existing account. There are so many banks in the USA from which you can choose. If you need help in choosing your next bank. Then refer to this list of questions.
Steps to Close Emigrant Bank Account
If you hold an individual account with the bank. Then you can follow the steps that are explained below. And in case if you hold a joint account with the bank. The steps are a little different so follow the linked guide here.
- Locate the nearest branch of Emigrant Bank near you.
- Take your passbook, unused cheques, debit cards, and identity proof document.
- Visit the branch of the bank and go to the helpdesk.
- Speak with the bank officials and tell them that you want to close your account.
- The officials will ask you for your name and bank account number.
- Provide the details to the officials and show them your identity proof document.
- Bring down your account balance to zero.
- Collect an account closure request form.
- Fill the form, sign it, and submit it to the bank officials.
How to Contact the Bank?
If you want more information, then you directly contact the bank. For this, you can call the customer care of the bank. And use the official website.
- Official Website: www.emigrant.com
- Phone Number: 1-800-836-1998
This is how you can get your account closed. You also need to keep in mind that if you are closing the account too early after opening it. Then the bank may ask you to pay the account closing charges.