Eastern Bank is one of the many banks that are operating in the United States of America. If you hold an account with this bank and now have decided to close it down. Then this guide is entirely written for you. In this guide of mine, I will tell you how you can close Eastern Bank account.
If you hold an individual account with the bank then you can follow this guide. But in case if you hold a joint bank account then follow this linked guide for proper instructions. Before you approach the bank to close the account you have to make sure of two things.
The first thing is there should be no negative balance in your bank account. In case you have any dues pending or negative balance. Then the bank will not allow you to close the account until you clear all the dues. This is not the case only with Eastern Bank, but with all the banks around the globe.
The second thing is all your automatic payments and direct deposits will start failing once the account is closed. So to make sure they don’t fail you have to set them up from your alternative bank account before closing down your existing account. And it is completely your responsibility and not that of the bank.
Steps to Close Eastern Bank Account
There is no online method to close your account. The only method you have is the offline method whose steps are explained below.
- Locate the nearest branch of Eastern Bank near you.
- Take your passbook, unused cheques, debit cards, and identity proof document with you.
- Visit the branch of the bank and go to the helpdesk.
- Speak with the bank officials handling the helpdesk and tell them that you want to close your bank account.
- The officials will ask you for your name, account number, and the reason for the closure.
- Provide the requested information and verify your identity by showing your identity proof document.
- Check your bank account balance and bring it down to zero.
- Collect an account closure request form and fill it with all the required information.
- Check the form after filling it, sign it, and submit it to the bank officials.
How to Contact the Bank?
If you want to contact the bank to get more information then you can do that by calling customer care, using the official website. And by messaging on the bank’s official social media profiles.
- Official Website: www.easternbank.com
- Phone Number: 1-800-327-8376
- Facebook: www.facebook.com/easternbank
If you don’t have an alternative bank account with you. Then I recommend you to open one before getting the Eastern Bank closed. And if you need help in choosing your next bank. Then refer to this list of questions you should ask the bank before opening the account. And also keep in mind that if you are closing the account too early then the bank will ask you to pay account closing charges.