You can close your bank account whenever you wish to by contacting the bank. But there is a proper process that you have to follow. In this guide, I will tell you how you can close Armed Forces Bank account.
I have not explained any online method because of the low success rate. Instead of that, I have explained an offline method below. This method works for almost all the banks in the United States of America.
Before you approach the bank and request it to close your account. You will have to prepare your account to be closed. There are two things to be taken care of by you.
The first thing is you will have to ensure that there are no negative balances or pending dues in the account. If you have any then the bank will not let you close the account until you clear those.
The second thing is you will have to set up your automatic payments and direct deposits with your alternative bank account. If you don’t do it then your payments will start failing once your Armed Forces Bank account is closed.
If you already have an alternative account with you then you are good to go. But in case if you don’t. Then I recommend you open a new account before you close your existing one.
If you need help in choosing your next bank. Then you can refer to this list of questions that you should ask any bank before opening an account. Based on the answers you will be able to decide if you should go with the bank or no.
Steps to Close Armed Forces Bank Account
If you want to close an individual account then follow this guide. But in case if you want to close a joint account. Then follow this linked guide.
- Locate the nearest branch of Armed Forces Bank near you.
- Take your passbook, unused cheques, debit cards, and identity proof document with you.
- Visit the branch of the bank and go to the helpdesk.
- Speak with the bank officials and tell them that you want to close your account.
- The officials will ask for your name, account number, and the reason why you are closing the account.
- Provide them the details and show them your identity proof document.
- Bring down your account balance to zero.
- Collect an account closure request form.
- Fill the form, sign it, and submit it to the bank officials.
Other than these things you should also keep in mind that if you are closing the account too early after opening it. Then the bank may ask you to pay the account closing charges.