If we start counting the reasons why people might have decided to close a bank account. Then we will get plenty of reasons. But no matter what is the reason that made you decide to close Bank of Houston account. I will guide you through the steps that you need to follow.
There are a few checks you need to do before you approach the bank to close your account. Let us first learn about these checks. And then we will discuss the steps that you need to follow. The first thing is about the balance you have in your account.
There should be no negative balance or pending dues in your account. If you have any then you will have to clear those before you approach the bank. That is because the banks do not allow the customers to close the account until all the balances are settled.
The second thing is about your automatic payments and direct deposits. You have to cancel all those which are running on your Bank of Houston account. This is important because all your payments will start failing once the account is closed.
You can set up all the payments with your alternative bank account. This will help you make sure that all your payments are running without any issues. You have to move your payments before you close the account. And keep in mind that it is completely your responsibility to take care of the payments before closing the account.
If you already have an account with any other bank in the United States. Then that is great you can directly close your account with the Bank of Houston. But in case if you don’t have. Then I recommend you get one opened before you close your existing account.
Steps to Close Bank of Houston Account
I do not recommend you close the account online because of the high rejection rate by the bank. Instead of that, you can follow the offline method that is explained below. If you hold an individual account then follow this guide. But in the case of a joint bank account, refer to this linked guide.
- Locate the nearest branch of Bank of Houston near you.
- Take your passbook, unused cheques, debit cards, and identity proof document with you.
- Visit the branch of the bank and go to the helpdesk.
- Speak with the bank officials and tell them that you want to close your account.
- The officials will ask for your name and bank account number.
- Provide them the details and show them your identity proof document.
- Bring down your account balance to zero.
- Collect an account closure request form.
- Fill the form, sign it, and submit it to the bank officials.
How to Contact the Bank?
You can contact the bank by calling customer service and by using the official website.
- Official Website: www.bohbank.com
- Phone Number: 713.497.1515
This is how you can close your bank account. The steps are very easy and straightforward. But you also have to keep in mind that if you are closing the account too early after opening it. Then the bank may ask you to pay the account closing charges.